Tenants FAQs | Have a Question About Our Letting Process?

Feefo Gold Service award, an independent seal of excellence that recognises businesses for delivering exceptional experiences, as rated by real customers.

Tenants FAQ

How can I find a property to rent?

We have a broad range of properties to let whether you are looking for a city apartment or a family home we can help you find somewhere to rent. When you choose Peter Heron you are choosing an agent who will offer you the highest standards in the property renting industry as well as professionalism and commitment to customer service, ensuring your property rental runs smoothly.

How do I arrange to view a property?

Contact our specialist rental advisors at either our Sunderland City Centre or Fulwell branch. If you are not already registered with us we will take your particulars and note your property requirements. We will then arrange a mutually convenient time to accompany you to the property with an experienced member of our lettings team.

What’s the application procedure?

Firstly, you will need to complete our application form. Check you meet the referencing criteria:

  • Be in full time employment with no more than a 2 week gap between different employees in the last 6 months
  • Have been a resident in the UK for the past 3 years
  • Be earning 2.5 times the monthly rental
  • Provide either your driving licence (photo edition) or Passport and a current utility bill

Am I allowed to keep pets?

Only with the consent of the landlord. Permission must be sought prior to the commencement of the tenancy. If the landlord gives consent, Peter Heron acting as agent for the landlord reserve the right to increase the amount of the rent and this is agreed with the tenant prior to an application. A special clause will be entered in to the Tenancy Agreement to cover the Tenants additional obligations.

Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

The utility firms will need you as a tenant to setup your account with them directly and to contact them again when you leave, taking care to provide meter readings.

When will the rent leave my account?

Generally rent is paid by a standing order mandate and will leave your account 3 days prior to the rental due date in order to be in the recipients account on the due date (The due date is typically although not always the date on which you moved in)

What happens if my rent is paid late?

Any problems with late rental payments should be conveyed to Peter Heron. Arrears letters will be issued if rent remains outstanding beyond 5 days after it was due. 

How often can the rent be put up?

In general terms rent of an existing tenancy can only be increased once every twelve months. Where an Assured Shorthold Tenancy holds over as a statutory periodic tenancy a specific prescribed form (A section 13 notice) will be used to notify tenants of a proposed increase in the rent.

Can I move someone else in?

You have to get the landlords agreement for the person you suggest to move into the property. The landlord may want to take up references for them. The landlord will give the new person their own tenancy or licence agreement.

If I have any problems during my tenancy who do I speak to?

This depends on whether or not your property is fully managed by Peter Heron. Contact your Peter Heron lettings advisor if the property is fully managed by Peter Heron or the landlord directly if it isn't.

Who should I contact if I am having difficulty with my landlord?

Feel free to contact Peter Heron but ultimately seeking some independent advice would be recommended. The Citizens Advice Bureau is a good place to start.

If I want to serve notice to vacate what should I do?

Notice would need to be served in accordance with your particular lease agreement by recorded delivery to Peter Heron. The law around ending a tenancy is relatively straightforward as long as the right timescales and procedures are followed along with the use of the correct format of notice. It is recommended that you end your agreement properly if you want to leave. If you don’t you may still be liable to pay rent even after you’ve moved out.

What penalties will I incur should I break my lease agreement early?

The primary liability is for rent until the end of the contract or its break clause point. If the landlord agrees to find a new tenant then your liability will be reduced to covering the landlords commission and any other expenses from when the property is re-let. Payments would be calculated on a pro-rata basis for the unexpired term of the contract.

How will my payments cease at the end of my tenancy?

You should contact your bank directly to cancel your standing order once the last payment has left your account.

Where should I return my keys at the lease end?

Unless specific instructions are given by your landlord keys should be taken to Peter Heron at either our Sunderland City Centre or Fulwell branch. Please ensure all sets are returned, a receipt is obtained and that this happens on or before the last day of your tenancy.

Please note that you will be liable for rent on a daily basis until the keys are returned.

When is my deposit returned to me?

The deposit will be held by Peter Heron in our own client’s account, the deposit and the tenancy details will be registered with The Dispute Service under a Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) and a certificate/unique number will be issued to show registration to the scheme, this will then be provided to both Landlord and Tenant.

Once the check-out has been conducted, the property has been cleaned to a satisfactory standard and Peter Heron has received instructions regarding the deposit from the Landlord, the money will be returned to your account.

This usually takes no more than 28 days.